Edinburgh: Day 2 - Gardens, Yachts and Witchy Grub.

02:39


Today we took advantage of the tour bus passes that we had. A couple of the places we wanted to visit were a bit further afield so it was a great way to see everything without having to trek too far. We went for the Royal Edinburgh Ticket which lets you have access to the bus for 48 hours and includes fast track entry to places like Holyroodhouse and Edinburgh Castle. It costs £51 per person.

It was a dreary day, I was so glad to spend a bit of time on the bus just sitting in the (kind of) warmth, listening to the commentary as we passed certain sights. You can never truly feel like a tourist until you ride a tour bus.

Our first stop was the Royal Botanic Gardens. I took so many pictures its quite unbelievable. They have their own separate post as you’d literally be here for hours just looking at them all.


Afterwards we headed for the Royal Yacht Britannia.

Where do I start with the Royal Yacht Britannia? I’ve tried not to include every single photo that I took. I think if you want to see it, you need to experience it for yourself, and I don’t want to give too much away. You need to feel all giddy and child-like just like I did when I stepped on-board.

The Yacht is Scotland's number one attraction, so it's definitely worth a look. It homed Her Majesty the Queen and the Royal Family for over forty years. Sailing all around the world and clocking up over 1,000,000 miles. (Just wow) You get to experience what life was like on-board not only for the Royal Family but for the hundreds of staff and workers too.


It was a talking tour and you could just see everyone walking around with big phone looking things (how technologically correct) beside their ears. I find them interesting as you can easily get all of the facts and little secrets (I'd like to think) whilst going around at your own pace. 

The fixtures and features were dated but oh my were they giving me some interior inspiration. I loved the old school labeling on these telephones and the brass tones dotted about. 


Some highlights of the tour are the State Rooms and Royal bedrooms. You can experience what life was like below deck by checking out the living quarters and even the sick bays too. There's the impressive Engine Room and Sun Lounge. You can sample homemade fudge or try afternoon tea in the Royal Deck Tea Room.  If I went back that's definitely where you'd find me.

One of my personal favourites was the State Dining Room.


The photo doesn't even do it justice. You can sit well over one hundred people at the table which is beyond impressive. Imagine being one of the lucky few. 

It's like stepping into a time warp and seeing exactly how things used to be. I could imagine Her Majesty and her family away from prying eyes just being somewhat free and relaxed, enjoying family life on a boat, something as simple as that.

It's definitely a must see. If you love the Royal Family or pristine boats, or even if you just want a good attraction to see in Edinburgh, you can't get better than the number one spot.

It's £15 per adult ticket, but we got it included with our bus ticket. See I told you it was a good buy.


We ended the day with a trip to The Witchery by the Castle. (I researched. There was no way I was going all of the way to Edinburgh without going to the Witchery.)

It's Edinburgh's most famous restaurant and as the name suggest's it's minutes away from Edinburgh Castle. You can dine in the Witchery Dining Room or the Secret Garden Dining Room. We went for the latter.

I'm gutted I didn't get many photos. The lighting inside was moody and dark and although totally set the place off with dim candles and bare castle-like stone sticking out everywhere, it did nothing for my crappy, barely recognisable photos.

Nothing could have ruined the food though. It's quite possibly one of the best meals I've ever had in my life. 

We went for:

Truffle honey beetroots goat's curd, mint, hazelnut granola - £9
Parmesan tart, Mixed heritage tomato, Burrata, lemon pesto, rocket - £16
Witchery pudding selection - chocolate tart, coconut créme brulee 'opera gateaux', vanilla panacotta with pressed pineapple, ices - £12

Just thinking about it is making me jealous. It was serious, Á la Carte, grade A, good stuff. I'm talking tiny portions in the middle of elegantly presented plates. Words on the menu you can't pronounce. Tastes and flavours you've never known before. I would literally go back in a heart beat. Sure it has a hefty price tag, but oh my it's so worth it.

Have any of you dined in The Witchery by the Castle?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images