The Little Lamesley Pastures Walk.

02:23

I’m forever on the lookout for walks next to where I live, so that I can take Poppy (my lab) to new places. I get bored, so I’m guessing she does too when we go on the same route time after time. I also love the outdoors as you can probably tell from the mountains of posts where I’m walking some muddy track, or showing you millions of pictures of trees. (Slight exaggeration maybe)

I went with her and my mam and we found a little opening in the hedges about five minutes from where we live. It’s called LamesleyPastures. I think it may be connected to Lamesley Reedbeds where I went walking a few weeks ago. (according to the map) I love when you pull up somewhere and it has those little boards that give you information about where you are and what you can see etc.

According to the sign Lamesley Pastures was bought by Gateshead Council in 2002. Who bought it to care for and improve the area for its wildlife, landscape, archaeological and historical interest and to enable people to explore this unique place. It has now been taken over by Durham Wildlife Trust (in 2014) 

New wildflower meadows and hedgerows are being planted to provide habitats for wildlife, including species that are getting rarer. There are also new wetlands that will attract wading birds etc. It’s fascinating learning about the history where you live and what used to be. For example did you know:

‘Most medieval remains have been destroyed by building or ploughing and the site at Lamesley is recognised as one of the best surviving examples of a medieval landscape in Tyne and Wear. Despite being close to the built up area of Gateshead, land around the village has largely escaped the effects of the industrial revolution, coal mining and modern development. The landscape has changed little in the past 150 years. Because of this, the Council has protected Lamesley by designating it as a Conservation area.’

I had no idea, there are so many other great facts on the leaflet I linked. If you are from around here or interested in Gateshead’s heritage it's worth a look.

I wouldn't say it was a very long walk. We managed to get to the end in about fifteen minutes. It was nice passing unseen countryside though. We went past the back of some nice looking houses. You could just see them in the distance along with The Angel of the North. There was also cows/sheep in the fields too.

There were different entrances to Lamesley Pastures, but we only went in the one we came across. One of them not too far away, said that there was a viewing station to watch birds and things, which might be good to see. (I don’t think I’m the bird watching type, but you never know.)


On our way back I spotted a tree that was growing through a wall by the looks of it. I was scared to get right up close to it, in case I fell down a ditch or something, but you could just see the hints of a doorway poking out from underneath. I’m always curious as to weather there's a tunnel or what places used to be like before time and nature took their toll. 








I'm not sure if I'd do this particular walk again. There's wasn't many things to see on the way. We did hear a lot of rustling next to some of the trees and they were moving a lot. I was hoping I'd spot a deer emerging, but we couldn't see anything. 

Places change with the seasons though, and who knows maybe just a short walk, when its pelting down with snow might be quite pleasant. 

Have any of you found any nature walks recently?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images