A Morning Spent in Durham.

07:10

Now my mother is a newly married woman she needed to get herself a new passport sorted. So whilst she was waiting for it to get finalised and what not we decided to have a little wander around Durham (Which is where the passport office is, if you were wondering.) 

I've been to Durham on a few occasions; it just has a lovely feel about the place,the little bridges going over the water and the castle and cathedral that you can see in the distance. It’s quite archaic and traditional and I like going every now and again. One year we went to a Christmas market that was on and it was just lovely, it was right next to the cathedral too which was a nice touch, especially lit up in the dark.

We had the dog with us, so it was more about just about walking around and taking in a few of the sights. We did stop for breakfast at a place called Ciao Ciao, which is a Mediterranean deli and bakery. We grabbed a table outside to accommodate Poppy. We got a couple of bacon sandwiches with tea and what not.  My mam got some kind of cake that looked a bit like shredded wheat. I sneaked a bite and it was sweet and cinnamon flavoured. (Very nice indeed.)

Afterwards we just walked up towards Durham Castle and Durham Cathedral. I've been inside the cathedral before. It’s just amazing and I don’t think I could describe it. It’s definitely something you have to see for yourself. You can’t go to Durham without paying it a visit.

We took what I thought was a shortcut so we didn't have to go through the shops and things to get to them. It took us up some steep steps and onto some weird back alleyways. It did take us to a locked gate which I guess would have been open at some point and taken you straight there. Not the case when we were there, so if you see and shortcut sign, don’t bother. I think it did cut the time a bit and was more fun than the normal way. So what the hell, yeah go that way instead.


I've never been to the castle before, but just from the outside it looks like my kind of place. I love exploring old buildings and ornate gardens and things. There were plenty of little focal points beside the two landmarks (Durham Cathedral and Durham Castle) which caught my photographer’s eye. Just benches outside of regal looking buildings, or flowers nicely arranged in a pot. There's always something worth looking at.












On our way back down I spotted a gorgeous little cake shop that I’m dying to sample. Next time I go back I’ll have to leave Poppy at home. (Poor dog) I mean I’m all for dog walking, but cake is important too. That way I can go and explore Durham Castle as well. (Always thinking)

It’s definitely worth a look if you’ve never been to Durham before. I know they have the Lumiere Festival, which I’d also love to check out.

Have any of you been to Durham lately?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images