The 'Once Trodden' Nature Walk.

08:52

Back for May Bank Holiday, when I was going through my ‘must walk 4 miles a day phase’ (It didn't last; the blisters alone were enough to make me stop.) I went with Poppy my little lab for a walk on the paths that take you to Tanfield Railway. You can check that out here.

This time Instead of starting from home and being knackered before we had even really gotten onto new territory, I took the car and parked next to the entrance way and we managed to walk all of the way up. Well, not to the railway, but to the next cut which is enough in itself. I think I've cycled up there before, but I don’t think me or Poppy had it in us to walk that far. I’m really curious to go to the railways though and have a good look, so maybe that might be a future trip.

The surroundings were different to last time, gone were the bright yellow fields and the orange flowered bushes. It was a nice sunny day unlike last time though.

This walk to me will always be remembered as the ‘butterfly walk’. There were just so many flying about.  One of them was massive and brightly coloured. I saw brown ones and little white ones. (So descriptive I know) I’m not a butterfly expert so don’t know any of the names for them. It was just nice watching them flutter by.  Half of the time they fly off  before you can even get near them for a decent shot, so I was glad I managed to get a couple.


Poppy got reunited with her favourite bench too. It’s this lovely carved high bench with intricate details on it. It looked great against the backdrop of the golden hues in the fields. We may have stopped for a while and chilled. I may have added my name to the others that had been scratched into it. (Ever so lightly though, I’m no vandal.) 

On our way back down from reaching the cut I saw a rabbit/hare sitting in a bush. You know when you just hear rustling and your eyes are immediately directed to something. I think it was startled and trying to hide, as I could just see it's rear sticking out. I left it in peace though, and Poppy was none the wiser.











You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images