Tynemouth: The Outdoor Pool and Other Stories.

07:03

Way back in January when I started writing this blog, one of the first posts I wrote was about a trip to Tynemouth that I took with my best pal Nic and my pooch Poppy. Fast forward eight months or so, and were in exactly the same place, but only not.

It’s strange, you can visit somewhere, and then go back even just the very next day and it most probably won’t be the same experience. There will always be something different. Maybe you go to a different part of the beach (which we did) maybe the weather was different. (It was) My point being that, no two days are exactly the same and even if you go to somewhere that you've been before, chances are you’ll see something you missed the first time around.

It’s still the time of year when the dog can’t venture onto certain parts of the beach so for the most part we just took a stroll along the path instead. We came to the massive ruined swimming pool. (You know the one.) Even in its abandoned state, I can’t help but fall in love with it.

I remember ages ago we visited once when it was getting dark, the tide was quite far in and just walking around the outside of it was so scary. The water was black and murky and I imagined all sorts of horrible creatures lurking inside of it. (That’s the beauty of it though.) I love the ruins, the flaky paint. I like watching over the sides as the waves crash against it. It’s soothing in a weird kind of way.

I had this idea in my head that it would be amazing if the pool got renovated. I can’t imagine anything better than a pool at the beach. (It just blows my mind if I’m honest.) So I decided to have a little look online and I stumbled upon a page for the Tynemouth Outdoor Pool. It turns out that there’s an ongoing project to try and help bring the pool back to its former glory. You can get involved too, whether volunteering your services, or some spare change etc. It’s worth a read, seeing what is actually going on, what the Friends of the Tynemouth Outdoor Pool hope to achieve. It all sounds rather exciting. They have a Twitter and Facebook if you want to keep up with their progress etc.

After the excitement of the pool, further along we found a little abandoned spot where Poppy could just run around and be a dog for a bit. Nic and I just sat on the rocks and felt present in the moment. Life is full of these moments. Most of the time we’re too busy to realise that, but every once in a while it’s just good to sit back and take it all in.


From where we were we had a great view of the Tynemouth Castle and Priory in the background and you could also see King Edward’s Bay. I, up until that moment didn't know there was such a thing as Tynemouth Priory. You can bet that we walked straight over there when we were done, to see what it was all about.


I've also never set foot onto sand at King Edward's Bay whilst we're on the subject. A new fish shack has just opened up there too which I'm dying to check out. 

You can see what happened when we visited the Tynemouth Priory and Castle tomorrow.

Have any of you been to Tynemouth recently?

What do you think about the outdoor pool getting an overhaul?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images