Night-time at the Angel of the North.

00:00

I was looking back at some old photos and came across some from visiting the Angel of the North. It made me realise that 1. It’s been ages since I went and just stood and looked at it for a while. (It’s quite calming if you've never been before.) 2. That I've never been when it's dark. I’m not talking 11 O’clock at night when its pitch black and you can barely see your feet never mind the big 20ft statue. No, I’m talking more like just as the sun is setting. You know those great nights, when the sky is beautiful and shows every shade of blue, orange and pink imaginable. Its times like this I wish I had a top notch camera that could pick up every hue. My phone didn't do too badly though when I went with Poppy for a little stroll.

I met a nice couple when I was there and the lady was talking to me about how much she loved seeing the Angel. I guess when you live right beside it you forget what effect it has on tourists. For me the Angel will always remind me of home, it’s that big hunk of steel that I see on my way back from a lot of journeys and it just instantly puts me at ease. Any other Geordies’ have that feeling?

I walked the dog around for a bit whilst getting as many pictures as I could. I must have shot it from every angle possible. I then tried to get a decent selfie which was just nigh on impossible. I have a blurry pic of me mid laugh with some steel feet in the background. Slight fail maybe.

I got one of Poppy standing beside it though which will have to do. Maybe I should invest in a selfie stick. Or maybe if I wasn't so embarrassed I’d ask someone to take my picture. My face would do that weird smile things that Chandler’s does on Friends though and no one wants to see that. It’s better not to have the picture.


We were just getting ready to come home, when a girl that had been jogging appeared out of nowhere. She started taking pictures. I moved so my Chandler Bing grin wouldn't be in any of her shots. Next thing I know she seems to be on her knees praying or meditating or something. I guess the Angel means different things to different people which is amazing. I like the idea that people can get something out of visiting the Angel instead of just looking at it. Don't get me wrong that's great too, but there's just something magical about people using it to prey or help them in some way.

I also find it amazing how from one direction the light is totally different and the Angel's figure is in silhouette, then when you see if from the other direction, it looks like you're seeing it at a different point in time entirely. 

Have any of you been to the Angel recently? What about past bed time?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images