Speedy Afternoon Tea at the Copthorne Hotel Newcastle.

05:15


I had afternoon tea at the Copthorne Hotel last year, it was a great experience. So when my brother’s girlfriend (Lorii) bought me a voucher for my birthday, I was more than happy to go back and try it again. 

I went with my mam, you know there's no one else I really afternoon tea with. (changed it into a verb there) and we got into a bit of bother with the car. It kind of broke down in the car park, which resulted in me pushing it into a space. (never felt more like the Hulk in my life) She phoned the breakdown people and we had about half an hour to cram our food and cake down. It was a challenge, but we managed it...slightly.


The lady that served us was lovely. She took us straight to a table by the window and brought us a glass of bubbly. I was shocked at how fast the place started filling up. (I'm guessing a lot of people had vouchers)

On the menu was:

prosecco
tea
cheese and pickle sandwiches
egg mayonnaise and rocket sandwiches
plain scones with butter, jam and cream
lemon drizzle cake
chocolate brownie
carrot cake


The sandwiches were fine. No stale bread in sight. It's always a bit harder with a vegetarian option as there's not a lot of choice for sandwich fillings. Our server asked us if there was any other options we would like which was nice. Between the two of us we couldn't think of anything though, guess were going to have to get out of the egg and cheese box.

The scones were great. We requested plain, which we do a lot of the time. It's just an integral part to afternoon tea and one I always look forward too. I will say that the cream seemed more like whipped instead of clotted, but it all still tasted right.


The cakes definitely looked the part. I'll say it now, we barely had a chance to look at the chocolate brownie never mind taste it. It's never the first one I'll pick though, so I wasn't too disappointed.

The lemony cake had a lovely texture, the sugar on the top was just too much though, I felt like someone had just plopped it in a sugar pot. It was too grainy and too sweet. After I scraped most of it off it tasted a lot better.


The carrot cake was my favourite. I love the cream cheese frosting and how you feel slightly healthier knowing there's a bit of veg in it. (Or maybe that's just me.)


The weather was great too. It had been our plan to go for a nice walk along the Quayside afterwards. Just looking at the views outside made me feel like I was being taunted. 

I managed to eat everything apart from my brownie and I didn't finish my tea or prosecco either. That was nothing compared to my mam who had kept her scone until last. It was buttered and jammed and everything when we had to quickly leave. I think she was a bit gutted. 

The getting followed home by a hot guy in shades kind of made up for it though.

Overall a decent experience. I feel the cakes were nicer than last time, even the sandwiches too, I just wish I could have savoured it for a bit longer. Who knows there might be a next time.

Have any of you sampled Afternoon Tea at the Copthorne before?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images