Ousbrough Wood and it's Many Paths.

10:10

You know I like to go walking. I think more than 60% of the posts that I write on here are to do with walking through woods, or thinking I’m some kind of wilderness explorer. (A little Up reference for you there.)

Sometimes I like to go further afield and explore somewhere new, other times when I just can’t be bothered, but yet still need to take Poppy our pooch out, I’ll stay closer to home. I've explored quite a lot of the forest lands next to where I live, but that still doesn't stop me from stumbling upon the unknown.

Like the other day for example. I was just going about my business, on the same route I've walked numerous times and it was just like out of nowhere this little path appeared at Ousbrough Wood. I’m making it sound like magic, as if the earth came to life and made me a passageway, I wish. No, but I can’t believe that I never spotted it before.

Being the curious little so and so that I am I decided to walk along it and see where it would take me. It basically took me to another wood. It was still Ousbrough, but not how I know it, or how I'd seen it until that point. I passed a tree where there was at least ten caterpillars just huddled together on a branch. The air seemed cleaner and fresh. Ousbrough to me is always quite misty and mysterious, as it’s so low down and shaded by the trees. This part wasn't at all. There were still huge trees about. You know when you look and you can just see pines for miles and miles. The sun was shining through them though.

There was a wooden walkway and a massive trunk had fallen along the way. It’s like its set up as a proper walk, yet nature happens and there’s things growing through the planks and the wood is twisted to accommodate the trees.

After a little while we found the exit. It took me a while to realise where I was to start with. It was another entrance to the woods. I've drove past it so many times without knowing. It’s strange how you can just do that.

My aim now is to try and see where other paths lead to. It’s like exploring the same parts, but not entirely. I went with my mam recently too and we pretty much got lost as we had wandered off the track so much. There are just so many little winding paths and dirt roads that you can follow. I like finding a new one and then seeing if it leads to somewhere that I know. I’m making a mental check list and crossing them off as I go.


We crossed the road and started on another path, again one I’d been to a few times. I was still finding little routes that I knew nothing about. We passed some cool looking fungi too, which just came out of nowhere.

So maybe sometimes you get bored of walking, or having to take your dog/cat/pet fish out etc. Finding a new route can make all the difference. You never know what you’re going to stumble upon. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a talking tree or a magic wishing well. A girl can dream…

Have any of you been exploring anywhere new lately?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images