The Quick Tynemouth Castle and Priory Visit.

00:00

On our little walk along Tynemouth (me, Nic and Poppy) you can find details here. We stumbled upon the ruins of Tynemouth Castle and Priory.

I've lived here all of my life, been to Tynemouth beach more times than I can remember, but I've never once noticed the ruins or known about Tynemouth Priory and Castle. (Some kind of tourist I am eh.)

Anyways we walked passed the beautiful King Edward’s Bay (another place I’ve never actually set foot on) and decided to go and see it in all of its glory.

Tynemouth Castle and Priory was one of the largest fortified areas in England. It overlooks the River Tyne and the North Sea. It is a English Heritage Site, which basically means it’s a big deal. There are over 400 historic buildings, museums and others within their care. They try to reserve the beauty, the ruin and the former splendour of places so that they can be enjoyed by today’s public. (Maybe by two girls and a crazy dog?)

You can visit the outside of the castle/priory without paying. There were numerous little spots where you could sit on the grass, or on the low walls overlooking the bay. Being true explorers though, (I wish) we knew we couldn't leave without going further in.

It cost £4.90 each which isn't bad at all. What is bad is having to leave after a quick twenty minute look around because the parking was running out on the car. Parking at least twenty minutes’ walk away was also a rookie mistake.

The lady on the desk who sold me the tickets was lovely and we had a little conversation about the site and also some of the other places that the English Heritage looks after. She told me key points about the priory and the places not to miss. Not having much time to look around, it was more a case of quick, look over here and a click click of the camera.

I loved how there were just these huge, amazing, ruins everywhere. Granted we didn't have time to be too observant, but what I did see was half formed rooms, doorway and window shapes made with decaying brick.

There were a few old fashioned doors too. I love looking at doors (that makes me sound so sad.) I just like seeing how different they are, the knockers and the handles. (Yeah, I’m stopping before I go too far.)


The graveyard was something else entirely. I was so surreal walking among the tombstones, trying not to disturb the spirits. Trying not to get freaked out about the bones and beings buried under your feet. 


I just love going to historical places and seeing and learning about the past. I like to feel like I belonged in the moment almost. Obviously I'll have to go back to Tynemouth Castle and Priory as I don't feel like I did it justice. There were so many other things that we didn't see. It would be nice to just take it at a leisurely pace. When you buy a ticket it's valid all day too. Which is always a plus. 

Opening times at the moment are 10:00-16:00 daily.

English Heritage offer a yearly pass too, so that you can visit many of their historical places for free once you have one. It costs around £41.

I might just have to get one. Maybe I'll look at the handy brochure I was given and start circling venues of interest. Oh how very interesting indeed...

Have any of you been to Tynemouth Castle and Priory?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images