The Canada Diaries: Kensington Market.

06:12



Let me just start by saying it's been a while...I guess that's an understatement really. It's been years. I don't know, I think I miss blogging. I try and kid myself that I'm over it, but there's just something that keeps pulling me back to this. 

Anyways...I'm not going to harp on. All I'll say is that I'm back...for now at least. I'm going to try and fill in the gaps and pick up where I left off. For now though, let's talk about Canada....

I couldn't possibly fit the fourteen days of my trip into this blog. It's just been so jam-packed and oh so utterly fabulous. It's what I've been saving towards and counting down the days to since as long as I can remember. 

I do want to show you some of my favourite places that I visited though.

Kensington Market is up there with the best of them.

A Bohemian paradise filled with Victorian houses on tree-lined streets selling everything from artisan breads to vintage clothes and jewellery. It is a hipsters' dream. There's an array of quirky cafes and restaurants to whet the appetite of many a diner. 

The food was one of the best things about the place. In fact, Toronto in general did not disappoint on the food front. The place is so diverse and cultural that you can find almost anything. Japanese cheesecake anyone? 


A strange thing was the sheer amount of marijuana places. It' such a big culture in Toronto. You can find cafes and shops in many places. 

We stopped in one of the many coffee shops (that's another things Toronto is crawling with, coffee places...) and decided to people watch for a while. We had a decent spot on the corner. The amount of faces cruising by, the funky fashions, the bikes and skateboards. The makeup and hair. It was something else.


Everything has this Earthy, Hippie-Like vibe to it. It's like the kind of place you would go to escape every day life. The hustle and bustle of the city, to quaint little streets where wind chimes ping in the distance. Where shop owners talk to you like friends. It's somewhere you could go and chill. Maybe even get yourself a spliff if you feel that way inclined.

I liked checking out the little boutiques and being wowed by the fabulous foodie creations in shop windows. One place I really wanted to go to, painted a shade of candy floss pink. It was a cocktail place and you could drink them from tiki cups. No one would go with me. I admired it for afar though. (same difference no?!?)


It really is the epitome of cool. You could spend more than one afternoon checking the scene out and really getting to grips with the flavour of it all. There's chaos and noise and crowds coming at you from all directions, but you just go with it. That's the flow of the place. It's Indie and different and awesome and everything else...

It's expression and art. There's numerous decals and drawings and pictures...colorful graffiti everywhere...


I don't think you can really experience everything that Toronto has to offer, without going to Kensington Market. Its a unique place rich in delights. The pictures don't do it justice. I'm so pleased and grateful that I got to go see it for myself...

Have any of you reveled in the splendor of Kensington?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images