A View From the Top: Grey's Monument.

01:29

You know that nice statue in town, the one that overlooks Grey Street? The Monument, Grey’s Monument, well every so often it opens its doors to the public and you are allowed to climb its steps (168 to be exact) and behold the sights of Newcastle from above.

Not just a precious meeting point for the hordes of people that visit town every day, the Monument is there to celebrate the life of Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey for passing the Great Reform Act in 1832. (I won’t go into too much detail, but you can find it all on Wikipedia. It took me two seconds.) To me the Monument is a place of gathering. When I went on Saturday there was a big street market showcasing goods. There were buskers and even a man dressed as Darth Vader playing a keyboard. I mean only in Newcastle eh?

So yeah on Saturday myself, my mam and her Fiancé (Geoff) went to climb the monument. I read somewhere that the times were from 10:00-16:00 (half an hour slots with only 8 people being able to go up at a time.) We got there for quarter to ten. There were already people up the Monument. When we went to put our names down the earliest we could get was 12:00pm. I felt sorry for anyone getting there a bit later. There were already loads of people waiting for spaces when we went. When we came back at 11:45 to wait for our turn, the whole thing was completely booked up.

Definitely go early to avoid disappointment. We went for a nice fry up at Fenwicks to fill the time beforehand. I was pleased we got a later spot in the end because the sun was out by that point and although the strong winds were shaking the structure, I still managed to get some good pictures.

To go up, there was this little wooden door by the base of the Monument. You had to enter backwards and keep your head down as the ceiling was low. Then it was just a case of climbing up all of the steps on the stone spiral staircase. There were little holes in the walls all the way up. I chose not to look as I didn’t want to freak myself out. (I’m scared of heights, and for whatever reason unbeknown to me, it never occurred to me that I would be scared when I reached the top.)

As soon as I stepped onto the platform I was scared stiff. Don’t get me wrong it was absolutely breath-taking. There was a man up there to guide us and answer any questions that we had. I just kept myself as far back to the wall as possible. There were railings and mesh so it wasn’t like I could fall, but still. I t was amazing looking down at the tiny people and at the gorgeous buildings. We went around a couple of times snapping away, before leaving. After a while I wasn’t so scared, but every time the wind picked up and I could feel it shaking, I wasn’t so confident haha.











As you can see I found an old sign hidden away. It's crazy to think of it being open before quite regularly and at only 50p a pop.

Until Saturday I hadn't ever really paid much attention to the Monument. I don't remember looking at the figure on the top, or reading the quotes on the side of the base. I'm pleased I got a chance to really look at it and to climb it is something that I'll probably never do again, but I'm so pleased that I did it.

You can check out the page here it will keep you up to date with the next open day for Grey's Monument. It's priced at £4 each.

Did any of you climb the steps of the Monument?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images