Birthday Afternoon Tea at Lumley Castle.

00:00



I’ve been to a couple of Afternoon Tea places, and none are as regal and posh and fancy and [insert any other appropriate words here] as Lumley Castle.

You’ll know the place; its façade has adorned many a wedding picture, as my Facebook has shown. I myself have been only once many many moons ago when I was a little kid. I think we were celebrating my step-mam's Graduation or something. Anyways that’s a whole other story...

So you go through a courtyard that has the most adorable little patch of green, voluptuous bushes and a stock just to add a medieval touch.

The uneven cobblestones and low doorways, even that castle-like smell was present and made me instantly fall in love with the place.


The actual tea is served in the Library Bar. (Library and bar, two of my favourite words) It was so quaint and cosy with its roaring fire and regal portraits embellishing the walls.

Little plush seats and dainty dark wooden tables were spread throughout the room. From there you could feast your eyes upon the masses of old books from the floor to ceiling bookshelves. We got the best spot in the place if I’m being honest. It was in a little alcove in the corner so you could see out of the window and spy on the rest of the room too. (I don’t know about you, but I’m a people watcher)


So the whole reason I was here was for my birthday. I dragged my mother and brother along to have a good ole family bonding session over cake. What nice cakes they were too. Éclairs and macaroons and carrot cake squares. (My mouth is watering just thinking about it again.)

We got plain scones. Normally they only do fruit but when we phoned up to book we asked to change and the lovely Lumley Castle people were more than happy to oblige. (Mega brownie points for that one)

The sandwiches were delectable too. Just overall it was a great tea experience and I really couldn’t fault anything.


The option we went for was the ‘Grand Afternoon Tea’ which comes in at £14.95 each. A bargain if you ask me. I’ve been to more expensive afternoon teas and not enjoyed it as much as this.

I would recommend this if you want to be transported somewhere else for an afternoon. The staff were friendly and even wear costumes to look the part. Classical music plays in the background too, I mean what more can I say? It's the whole package. 

Have any of you been for afternoon tea at Lumley Castle?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images