Golfing at Close House. (Day 1)

00:00

This past week has been the PGA Seniors Championship Tour. It was being held at Close House in Newcastle. I’m a fan of golf and thought it would be something fun to do. I’ve watched games on the TV before but have never actually seen it in real life. My knowledge of golf isn’t anything amazing. Basically I get the gist of the rules; I know a few players and I like watching it. To be honest you don’t even need to know anything. (As long as you like to watch it, then who cares about anything else.) We all know the end goal is to get the ball into the hole.

The tournament started on Thursday and finished yesterday. I went on the weekend with my mam and her fiancé Geoff. They are both quite fond of golf and have just recently come back from the BMW PGA at Wentworth. I think I’m going to go next year, so it was great to go here and get a taster of what it’s all about.

On the Saturday we spent time looking in the village. There were basically lots of tents with different golf-type things like merchandise and signing up to golf clubs etc. I like to watch golf, but I have no interest in playing it. (Not yet anyways) There were a few cars about the place too. Very geared towards men, but hey that’s to be expected. There was a little putting thing that had been built into a BMW which was cool.

We sat and watched people on the driving range for a bit, before heading over to play a bit of mini golf. I watched as my mam and Geoff tried to outdo each other. They then each had a little golf lesson from a professional. I think they’re going to go and get proper lessons which is great. It’s something they can do together.

Afterwards we went to hole 18 to watch the golfers as they finished. It’s surreal being where the action is instead of just watching it on TV. It felt a bit like being behind the scenes on a film or something.

They had food vans too and we stopped for fish and chips. They were £7 each which is mental. The chips tasted great though and the fish was top notch. (Still, for £7 though)


We weren’t really watching any players in particular. I’m not going to lie I didn’t know who any of them were. It was good just watching them tee off and putt though.










We left a little early to avoid the traffic and got an ice cream on the way out. I went for a sundae boat. It was two scoops of Mr. Whippy in a red plastic boat. The lady went wild putting on sprinkles and wafers and every kind of sauce they had available. I wasn’t complaining though. That was £3. So yeah if you ever find yourself watching the golf at Close House, take money and be prepared for the prices.

It was free to watch the golf itself and £10 per car to park. It's good value really considering the prices to go to some of the golfing events that are on. I was just pleased I got to try it out. Sunday was an even better day and I'll be telling you all about it tomorrow. 

Did any of you watch the golf?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images