Roker Pier and Lighthouse.

02:08

On Sunday the family and I took a little drive to the beach for fish and chips. It’s been ages since I’ve had fish and chips, and on a hot day, eating them at the beach is just the best. Poppy (our lab) came too and I had to keep her quiet by feeding her to odd chip every now and again. (Bad I know.)

We went to Roker beach. I’ve been to Roker a few times. It’s a lovely beach, spacious, sandy and lots to see. There are a good few shops and restaurants near the sea front too. I’m told they have a bowling green and boating lake. Not too sure where they are. But I’m curious to find out on my next visit.

We normally stick to one side of the beach, this time though we walked next to the harbour and took a little walk to the lighthouse.

Roker harbour is great. There are cute little flower and plant arrangements, screaming kids playing in the park and the shops and restaurants look like beach huts to me. Like I said, it was a sunny day, the place was a little bit crowded, but it was nice just taking a stroll, seeing Poppy’s tail wag every time she saw another dog. I love a bit of people watching as much as the next person, and there was lots to see put it that way.

The walk along Roker Pier to the lighthouse was great. I love looking over the rails at the side and seeing if I can see anything in the water. I think its just something I’ll never grow out of. (I’m a big kid what can I say)  There were lots of people taking photos, myself included. Others fishing, others lost in conversation. The lighthouse is undergoing work at the moment so I tried not to focus too much on it. It’s the first time I’ve seen it. I googled some pictures of what it used to look like and I’ll definitely take another trip when it’s finished being restored.


One thing I will say is if it’s a sunny day and you are walking along the pier, wear sunglasses. I learnt the hard way. The floor is bright white and the sun reflecting off it made me squint a hell of a lot. Other than that though it was great. There were boats going up and down the sea at the sides and the sun reflecting off the water was dreamy. 













This part of the beach was dog friendly, I think other certain parts aren't but you'll just have to check if you have a pooch with you. It's free to walk along the pier, it probably costs money to go into the lighthouse, but no one will be doing that anytime soon. 

I love going to the different beaches in the North East. We have a great coast line and I love exploring it. Even after I've been somewhere and I'm writing up a post, I find out so many facts and things about where I've been which just amazes me. Sometimes the best places our right on our doorsteps. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images